Volunteer as speaker!
Beschrijving van de vacature
PAX means peace. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned citizens worldwide, PAX works to build just and peaceful societies across the globe.
PAX works in fourteen countries in Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Southeastern Europe, where we initiate and support local peace initiatives. In times of war and conflict, PAX works towards protection of civilians whatever their political or religious background. Our peace building work in conflict areas is based on values of human dignity and solidarity with peace activists and victims of war violence.
PAX has been working in Syria for more that fifteen years. An example of our work in Syria is Siege Watch. This project aimed to provide the international community with up-to-date information on Syria’s besieged communities. Here you can read more about other projects we do in Syria. PAX also works in the Netherlands on peace and security. Our ‘Story of a refugee’ project is one of the examples. This project aims to give Dutch students insights in dilemma’s refugees face as well as knowledge about the conflict in Syria through sharing personal stories.
PAX is looking for Syrian refugees to volunteer as speakers and share their stories at schools
Volunteer as speaker!
As a speaker you will be visiting Dutch schools (students aged 12-23 years). During these visits, you will give a presentation in which you share your personal story. For example your daily life in Syria, how was life under the regime and/or ISIS, where were you or what did you do during the revolution in 2011 and what were your personal reasons to leave Syria? You also talk about your journey from Syria to the Netherlands, your life right now, your stay in the Netherlands and dreams for the future.
We believe interaction and open discussions with the students are very important. Sharing your own experiences will make them see you as a human being, instead of a refugee only. Apart from your presentation, the project consists of a digital ‘serious game’ in which students gain information about the conflict in Syria and a training for teachers. For more information on the project see www.verhaalvaneenvluchteling.nl.
Does your story qualify?
Almost all stories qualify, we value diversity. We welcome Syrians who just arrived in the Netherlands as well as Syrians who have been here for some time already. It doesn’t matter if you came by boat or by airplane through family reunification.
During the school year of 2019/2020 you will be visiting schools approximately twice a month during weekdays. PAX colleagues will accompany you to the schools. In order to prepare and develop yourself as a speaker, you’ll join a training, as well as monthly workshops and meetings with PAX staff and other speakers.
Profile & Qualifications
- are born in Syria and have knowledge about the situation in Syria;
- are currently living in the Netherlands and have a valid residence permit for the Netherlands;
- are willing to share your personal story, not only facts;
- were preferably involved in a peace and/or civil society organisation in Syria;
- respect values as non-violence, democracy, diversity, gender equality and human rights;
- are fluent in English or Dutch;
- are flexible and available at least twice a month for at least half a year. Both for school visits and meet-ups;
- have the ability to reflect upon your personal wellbeing;
- are aware and capable to respond to direct questions from students.
- an opportunity to contribute to the discussion about refugees, to tell people about Syria and to contribute to more understanding in Dutch society;
- training in presentation skills, intercultural communication, dealing with emotions, et cetera, and a certificate of participation in the training;
- a volunteer contract and a certificate of participation in the project;
- compensation and reimbursement of travel costs and other expenses ;
- support and accompaniment where necessary.
Application and information
Telephone; +31 (0)30 233 33 46.
Please send us before 29 September 2019 a short motivation letter in which you explain why you want to participate in the project and what you would like to tell about yourself and the life in Syria. Please add a short CV. Only via the application form on the vacancy page of our website.
Candidates will be invited for interviews on 7, 8, 23 or 24 October 2019. Selected candidates will attend a three-day training on 31 October and 2 and 3 November 2019.