Programme Manager, full-time
Beschrijving van de vacature
We believe that sustainable change will happen faster if governments and non-governmental
organisations become more effective, accountable and collaborative. With a team of data and
development experts, an open source data platform and a proven methodology, we help our partners
power their decisions to achieve inclusive and sustainable impact. We work to improve the
management of water, sanitation and agriculture and have a strong commitment to the progress of the sustainable development goals.
Akvo in Africa
Since 2014, Akvo has worked on water, sanitation and agriculture (WASH) programmes at national
scale in numerous West and East African countries. We have partnered with national governments
and other agencies, such as the World Bank and UNICEF, to introduce smartphone-based data
monitoring tools and provide on-ground data support.
You will manage large-scale programmes across Africa and drive business development for Akvo in
cooperation with the business development team. You are a leader who makes things happen. You
are proactive, responsible and able to maintain good working relationships in a diverse team while
understanding the importance of cultural nuances. Your focus will be on the water (including water
quality) and agriculture sectors.
This position is based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and you will be reporting to the global director
of operations, who is also based in Amsterdam.
- Programme management: You manage, monitor and deliver large-scale programmes in Africa and act as a spokesperson in multi-stakeholder meetings.
- Business development: You generate awareness of Akvo WASH and agriculture solutions. You initiate new partnerships, lead proposal writing, and represent Akvo at international conferences and networking events.
- Technical advice and consultancy: You understand our partners’ needs and are able to translate these needs into innovative data solutions. You provide high level advice about data solutions in collaboration with Akvo’s data experts.
Requirements and competencies
- Five to ten years of work experience, preferably in the international development, water, agriculture or information technology sector.
- Proven track record in programme management, including stakeholder management in international and culturally diverse environments.
- Previous professional assignments within West Africa and the ability to rely on a solid professional network in the region.
- Proven track record of representing organisations and negotiating on their behalf at strategic level in complex multi-stakeholder environments.
- Proven track record in successful large-scale business development (>€500k programmes).
- Affinity with data solutions advisory services.
- Excellent command of English and French in both writing and speaking.
What we offer
- Full time (40 hours/week) employment contract for eight months with the intention of building a long-lasting working relationship.
- A monthly salary of between €3.500-5.000 based on full-time employment and dependent on experience.
- Personal development budget.
- Additional pension scheme.
- A unique chance to work in an open, ambitious, collaborative environment with dedicated teams that aim to have a positive impact on the world .
- You will be part of our international Akvo community, with motivated and talented people whose diverse backgrounds converge to accomplish shared objectives.
To apply for this position, you must be based in the Netherlands and/or already in possession of a
valid work permit for the Netherlands. Regular international travel is required for this role.
We aim to fill this position as soon as possible.
To apply for this position, or in case of any questions, please send your motivation letter and CV to
work@ before 6 September 2019 with the subject line ‘Application Programme Manager akvo.org