Programme Development Manager
Beschrijving van de vacature
Hivos is looking for a Programme Development Manager
Thematic expertise: Food and Energy MENA
Region: Middle East and North Africa
Location: The Hague, The Netherland or Beirut, Lebanon
Hivos is an international organization that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organizations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Rightfully, political reasons are often cited as causes for the current crisis in the Middle East. However, environmental degradation and the increasing impact of climate change are increasingly recognized as critical root causes as well. This situation specifically affects rural areas in the Middle East and results in a weakening of the economic base, detrimental effects on the food and health situation, as well as migration to urban areas and abroad. The international community is increasingly concerned about these developments and looks for options to invest. Hivos wants to address these fundamental problems by developing a new portfolio that promotes sustainable development and job creation in especially food and energy sectors. The focus will be on Syria, Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq.
The MENA programme of Hivos contributes to societal transformation to pluralist and democratic societies with respect for human rights, equal opportunities for all citizens and sustainable use of natural resources. It collaborates with a variety of stakeholders including citizen activists, creative entrepreneurs, co-working spaces and alternative financial mechanisms such as crowdfunding and investments.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The role of Programme Development Manager will focus on identification and mobilization of resources, mapping and generating new ideas, developing relationships with stakeholder and facilita<s>t</s>ing of the transformation of innovative ideas and solutions into sustainable programmes and projects.
Successful candidate will report to the Programme Director Middle East and North Africa and work closely with the colleagues of the Green Society team, both at Hivos Global Office in The Hague. The position is for 32 hours a week.
- Identify and asses relevant donors and opportunities, with a focus on institutional donors
- Develop and lead proposals including project design and writing
- Network with current and potential stakeholders
- Build new relationships and partnerships
- Identify existing experiences and experiments of developing economically viable interventions promoting sustainable food systems and renewable energy both in urban and rural environments
- Design and develop concrete projects countering (further) ecological and economic decline, promoting sustainable food systems and landscape restoration and renewable energy
- Develop projects countering youth unemployment through promotion of entrepreneurship with a focus on youth and women.
- Master Degree in rural economy, land use management or related discipline.
- Proven entrepreneurial competencies and experience with entrepreneurship interventions
- 5-7 years of experiences of working in the field of rural economic development, with a special focus on agri-food, natural resources management and/or energy, preferably in the Middle East, North Africa or comparable ecological zones
- Proven track record in resource mobilization, preferably with institutional donors
- Project development experience
- Familiarity with innovative approaches and methodologies
- Familiarity with multi-stakeholder development
- Good communication skills both in Arabic and English (candidates without the requested language skills cannot be considered for the position)
- Valid residence and work permit for The Netherlands (Not when based in Beirut)
- Available for frequent travels to the MENA region (if based in The Hague)
WHAT WE OFFER
- Stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff
- Salary will be up to a maximum of €4.424 to €4.881 gross per month, based on a 36-hour workweek
- One-year contract with a possible extension for longer period
- Participation in Pension Fund
HOW TO APPLY
Han Valk – Fundraising Consultancy is responsible for the recruitment. Interested and qualified candidates are invited to send a motivation letter and resume in English to Diana Quirschfeld, at email@example.com mentioning the name of the function in the subject line until latest 1st of May 2018. We strongly encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible as all applications will be processed and evaluated on ongoing basis and the position may be filled sooner than the closing date.