Policy Lead Quality and Quantity of Aid
Beschrijving van de vacature
Oxfam is convinced that people have the power to end poverty. All they need is an opportunity. Oxfam is committed to make sure everyone gets that chance. Thas is why we support local projects in developiong countries, why we lobby governments and companies to listen to the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve both men and women in our work. osfam is a confederation of 17 organizations that works together to increase the impact of its long term development and humanitarian responses.
POLICY LEAD QUALITY AND QUANTITY OF AID
(1 FTE) The Hague
Description of Oxfam Novib organisational structure
The position is based in the Civil Society Space and Strengthening (CSS) team, that is part of the Governance and Financial Flows Thematic Unit. A thematic unit develops and implements a vision, mission and strategy for a specific thematic focus area of Oxfam Novib (as part of Oxfam). The cluster develops and implements multi country and multi regional projects according to Oxfam’s programmatic approach, in which campaigning, lobby/influencing, development programming, capacity building of Country Offices and partners, private sector work and delivery are combined.
There are four themes that each form a specific thematic cluster: Conflict & Fragility, Gender & Youth, Food, Land & Water and Governance & Financial Flows. The thematic cluster Governance and Financial Flows within Oxfam Novib is divided into 4 separate project teams, (1) Civil Society Space and Strengthening, (2) Even it Up! Tax, Budgets and Citizen Participation, (3) Transparent and Accountable Finance and (4) Voice. These project groups each develop, fundraise for, manage and implement multi country and multi-regional projects and activities, within the specific sub-theme in close cooperation with relevant Country Office and other stakeholders in Oxfam, deliver on global Oxfam campaigns and on (strategic) partnerships with institutional donors. They demonstrate thought leadership on their sub-theme, connecting with relevant centres of expertise outside Oxfam. They contribute to capacity building, knowledge creation and sharing.
Main goal of the job
The policy lead Quality and Quantity of Aid is responsible to ensure delivery of influencing/advocacy work in relation to quality and quantity of development aid in the Netherlands. The policy lead analyses Dutch ODA policy and contributes to Oxfam proposals to improve the policy. The policy lead develops research and policy positions on quantity and quality of aid and related thematic priorities. The policy lead works closely with the campaigner in the CSS team who is responsible to develop and deliver (digital) campaign strategies. The policy lead provides overall coordination of an external grant with two strands, one on quantity and quality of aid and one on agri-finance (housed in a separate thematic team.) This includes ensuring delivery of outcomes agreed with donors including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Strategic Partnership with the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The policy lead Quality and Quantity of Aid reports to the Program Lead of the CSS team and will closely collaborate with and be matrix managed by the Lead Corporate Lobbyist.
- Mobilizing public pressure and engaging influentials to Influence Dutch government policy with regard to development aid, with the aim to return to the international norm of 0.7% for development aid and to improve quality of aid. This includes addressing issues of private sector/blended finance, aid and migration (securitization of aid, the G7 and the EU budget.)
- Influencing the position of the Dutch government in relation to international fora such as OECD DAC, the UN and the EU.
- Overall coordination and lead of an institutionally funded grant with the external donor, ensuring quality program delivery, budget monitoring and timely narrative and financial reporting to the donor (the project has two strands, one on quality and quantity of aid and one on agri-finance which is housed in a different thematic team.)
- Ensuring delivery of the development aid related aspects of the Finance for Development Theory of Change of the Oxfam Novib Strategic Partnership with the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- The further development (content and process based) of and fundraising for projects and campaigns related to development aid in the Netherlands and in other relevant countries;
- A leading role in the realization of development aid related projects within the Civil Society Space and Strengthening project team in the Governance and Financial Flows Thematic Cluster;
- Active cooperation between projects within the Thematic Units and with other Oxfam Novib units, countries and Oxfam affiliates and external stakeholders in relation to the quality and quantity of development aid;
- Documentation of project knowledge on this sub-theme for program development, institutional fundraising and/or Innovation purposes.
The Policy Lead Quality and Quantity of Aid is responsible to:
- Influencing and policy development: Carry out effective public mobilization and policy influencing work with the Dutch government and Parliament
- Coordinate with Partos members and other relevant development NGOs in this regard
- If additional funding is secured, lead and coordinate with other relevant Dutch development NGOs and mobilize public support to press the Dutch government to return to the 0.7% norm for development aid as soon as possible and earlier than 2030. This would be achieved in close coordination with the lead corporate lobbyist.
- Lobby: Lead Oxfam Novib lobby in the field of development aid, liaising closely with the Oxfam Novib lead corporate lobbyist and, as needed, the Executive Director
- Project coordination: You will ensure the quality delivery of project results on quality and quantity of aid agreed with donors and ensure timely reporting to donors. In specific, you will coordinate an externally funded grant with two strands, one on quality and quantity of aid and one on agri-finance (housed in a separate thematic team), You will also contribute to the quality program delivery of development aid related aspects of the Finance and Development Theory of Change of the Strategic Partnership with the Dutch Foreign Ministry
- MEAL: You will ensure attention to MEAL in the programs related to quality and quantity of aid and as needed execute specialized activities which contribute to the initiation, the start-up, the realization and closing of projects (including MEAL) and participate in and report to relevant project teams;
- Campaigning: You will provide steer to and coordinate with the CSS campaigner in relation to quality and quantity of aid and relevant program deliverables; and monitor delivery of campaigning results as agreed in the project framework.
- Donor liaison: You will lead the relationship with the the European Office of the donor for the strand on aid and ensure Oxfam representation in external fora where relevant to the externally funded project on quality and quantity of aid.
- Oxfam coordination: You will coordinate closely with colleagues in other Oxfam affiliates in the EU and US towards the achievement of agreed outcomes for the externally funded program on quality and quantity of aid.
- Realize sub-goals of projects and contribute to the further development of the thematic unit;
- Lead project development and institutional fundraising of (new) multi country and multi-regional projects on aid;
- You will share knowledge and produce knowledge materials about your field of expertise to contribute to the development (fundraising) of (new) projects;
- collaborate and cooperate as needed with other Specialist and Officers of other Units, Country Offices or within Oxfam and with external stakeholders;
- Keep up to date about the latest developments in his/her relevant area of expertise and participates in relevant networks.
Requirements for the job
- Have a master’s or bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; preferably in international relations, development, political science or governance
- At least 5 years’ experience working in the NGO sector, ideally in relation to development cooperation and /or development aid
- Experience in institutional fundraising and donor liaison
- Solid experience in project coordination and management, networking effectively internally and externally
- Experience in influencing and campaigning work, preferably in the Netherlands and ideally in relation to development aid
- Are an excellent proactive innovator and connector;
- Have a result-oriented approach;
- Have excellent written & spoken Dutch and English skills (for policy influencing, project development, reporting); overall good communication skills and an inclusive approach.
- Are able and willing to travel as needed.
The key competencies for this position are
- Result orientation
The formulation of results to be attained from the objectives of Oxfam Novib, in terms of quality and quantity (formulated SMARTly). The basis for managing through decisive actions and evaluations.
To contribute actively to a joint result, also when there is no direct self-interest of a functional or personal nature. To build bridges and find common ground from cultural differences.
From a set target, to determine priorities and indicate a ranking of activities and needed resources.
- Written Communication
To communicate in writing ideas, opinions and information to others, using a language that is correct and understandable to the reader and/or target group.
To develop and maintain internal and external relationships, at the national and international levels, with individuals and organisations that have or can have a function for Oxfam Novib.
To find original solutions to problems, new work methods. To table innovative ideas.
Policy Lead In principle a Policy Lead should have the skills to be able to work on different projects. Oxfam Novib seeks flexibility in the organisation and its staff in the future and to ensure this, it should be understood that a Policy Lead may if needed, as the organisation develops, and funding patterns change, be asked to move from one project to another.
What we offer
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 10 with a salary range between € 3.031,00 and € 4.665,00 based on 36 hours a week.
More information and application procedure
Are you interested? Please submit your application via the 'apply' button and include your motivation letter and CV. Your application must be received by January 21, 2019 at the latest. Please note that only applications received through our recruitment system can be taken into consideration. For more information about the procedure you can contact Catherine Essoyan tel. +31 6 22379105.
Applicants must be nationals of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union.