Performance Based Financing (PBF) Program Manager
Beschrijving van de vacature
Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for just and sustainable societies where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion divide societies, we connect people and communities. We stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders. We aim at maximizing our social impact and contributing to systemic change. We operate where natural disasters strike, where conflicts tear up communities and where lack of opportunities and service delivery keep families in extreme poverty.
Cordaid is one of the leading CSO’s in the Netherlands, working in fragile contexts on Health, Resilience, Economic Opportunities, Humanitarian Aid and Security & Justice. Apart from our work abroad we also contribute to new forms of job creation and social innovation in The Netherlands.
Cordaid is a member of the international Catholic networks Caritas and CIDSE and we are active in worldwide civil society networks. We work in around 30 countries in Africa, Middle East and Asia.
For the Cordaid Country office in Ethiopia, Cordaid is looking for a Performance Based Financing (PBF) Program Manager
Cordaid has long been a pioneer in the implementation of Performance Based Financing (PBF) in the health sector. Since 2015, we have been running a PBF showcase project in the Borana Zone in Oromia Region (Ethiopia), in close collaboration with the Oromia Regional Health Bureau (ORHB) and the Borana Zonal Health Department (BHZD). More information about this project can be found online on http://www.pbfethiopia.org. Building on the success of this project, we were invited by the Netherlands Embassy to develop a proposal for a second Ethiopian PBF project, targeting a substantial part of the Jimma Zone in Oromia Region, for a duration of four years. This project aims at improved health service delivery in participating districts (through independent monthly quantity and quality verification of the facilities), as well as improved governance of health service delivery, and an enhanced health information system. Cordaid likes to invite high level and senior professionals to apply for the position of PBF Program Manager.
Position and Responsibility
The PBF Program Manager will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of the PBF project in Jimma Zone (to be set up), as well as for the existing project in the Borana Zone. S/he will be responsible for realizing the objectives as formulated in the Technical Proposal and budget approved by the Netherlands Embassy. S/he will report directly to the Cordaid Country Director in Ethiopia.
Specific Tasks and Objectives
- During the inception and design phase: co-responsibility to set-up an office in Jimma Zone and set-up a local PBF team, including recruitment and training of the team of PBF verifiers.
- Training in PBF of all local stakeholders (district authorities, health facility staff and community based organizations, to be identified during the inception phase), assisted by local staff.
- Coordinate the development and updating of management tools, such as the Project Implementation Manual, training modules, etc., in cooperation with the PBF Zonal Steering Committees and representatives from Oromia Region and Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH).
- Work together with the FMoH, ORHB, Ethiopian Health Insurance Agency and a contracted partner to develop new data systems and tools. This will concern (open source) PBF data architecture, ideally to be integrated into DHIS2, and the piloting of Blockchain technology.
- During the implementation phase: ultimate responsibility for the PBF project implementation in the Jimma and Borana Zones, including the financial accountability. You supervise and provide guidance to the PBF project teams and their team leaders in Jimma and Borana Zone.
- Manage the project and its resources efficiently and transparently, ensuring compliance with the requirements of the Netherlands Embassy.
- Monitor the progress of the project and the contract with the Netherlands Embassy to ensure that Cordaid delivers the quality outcomes agreed upon, outputs and services as formulated in the approved project proposal. Provide advice on changes and improvements where needed.
- Ensure the preparation of progress and financial reports and annual plans and budget to be submitted to the Netherlands Embassy for approval. Participate in internal and external audits.
- Identify and manage the operational and strategic risks of the two PBF projects.
- Together with the PBF Data Expert, function as the direct contact person (and advisor) for the PBF projects towards the Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH), Oromia Regional Health Bureau (ORHB), Ethiopian Health Insurance Agency (EHIA) and the Netherlands Embassy.
- Represent Cordaid externally, participate in relevant platforms and fora and partner with relevant stakeholders in relation to PBF, while ensuring alignment and harmonization with the Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP) and Ethiopian National Health Financing Strategy. Important counterparts include the Partnership and Cooperation Directorate (PCD) of the FMoH, and the Health Care Financing Advisory Group/Technical Working Group (HCF-AG/TWG).
- Organize different modalities of technical support to the FMoH, ORHB and EHIA, on a tailor made and demand-driven basis, in relation to future institutionalization of PBF in the Ethiopian context.
- Perform any other tasks (including daily activities of an administrative and/or organizational nature) which are necessary to achieve the results aimed for, as described in the project proposal.
- Post-graduate degree in Public Health, Health Administration, Health Economics, or a similar degree;
- Medical degree with experience in working in a hospital is considered an advantage;
- At least 10 years of relevant working experience, of which at least 5 years in healthcare;
- Sound theoretical knowledge of, and experience in, Performance or Results Based Financing;
- A good knowledge of the Ethiopian health sector is a solid advantage;
- Experience as a Program Manager or Coordinator in similar environments. You have previous experience in complex (multi-actor, donor funded) projects with a budget of at least 5 million USD;
- Ability to build, guide and manage a team of core staff in Addis Abba and project staff in Jimma and Borana Zone.
- You have previous experience in supervising a team to implement a healthcare project;
- Strong communication and facilitation skills, including the ability to establish good working relationships, to transfer skills and knowledge, and to provide technical assistance to key actors;
- Fully proficient in the following software applications: Windows, Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint;
- Knowledge of and experience in working with DHIS2;
- An excellent command of the English language. Command of locally used languages is an asset;
- Preparedness to regularly travel to the operational areas of the Jimma and Borana Zone;
- A flexible and pragmatic working attitude.
Specifics of station
The contract period will initially be for one year starting as soon as possible, with the intention to extend to up to the maximum project running period of four years. We offer a competitive, fair and comprehensive salary and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. A Cordaid contract which includes R&R, a comprehensive insurance cover, social security and pension contribution, a holiday allowance and a 13th month and hardship allowance.
Further information and how to apply
Applications including a motivation letter and extensive CV in English, including the contact details of at least three professional references, should be addressed to Akinyi Walender, Country Director Cordaid Ethiopia before May 8th 2019.
An integrity screening will be part of the application procedure.