Beschrijving van de vacature
PAX means peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned citizens worldwide, PAX works to build dignified and peaceful societies across the globe. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace.
PAX works together with local peace organizations and activists in conflict areas and builds bridges between hostile groups, always adapting the work to suit the countries and regions we operate in. PAX links its work with partners on the ground in conflict areas to decision makers at the national and international level. In this way we connect local security needs to policy makers at the EU, NATO and the UN. To this end we have advocacy offices at the UN in New York and the EU in Brussels.
PAX's Humanitarian Disarmament team advocates for a ban on weapons whose use cannot ensure the avoidance of killing innocent civilians, such as nuclear weapons, and autonomous weapon systems, known as Killer Robots, and on strict implementation of international prohibitions on cluster munitions and landmines. In addition, researchers investigate the effects of the arms trade and the link between conflict and the environment. The team is active in international coalitions to establish a world of human security through research, networks, lobbying and campaigning.
For our Humanitarian Disarmament Program PAX is looking to recruit a:
The intern / volunteer will be part of the Drones program and the Conflict & Environment research project. In the Drones program, PAX investigates the use of armed drones which are increasingly used in conflict, and their effect on the security of people. The Conflict & Environment research project focuses on the environmental health risks caused by conflict and military activities and how to include these risks in humanitarian response. You are a focused individual with a strong hands-on mentality and attitude. This position requires the capacity to successfully operate in an evolving context by strategically linking the several research program and advocacy activities of PAX and partners in a national and international context. You will get the opportunity to deepen you knowledge on campaigning, disarmament subjects and international politics around peace and security.
- Support Program Leader and Program Officer Humanitarian Disarmament, mainly in the Drones program and partly in the Conflict & Environment research project.
- Contribution to research assignments on defense investments, tracking ongoing use and proliferation of armed drones throughout conflicts in the world
- Organizational work to facilitate European Forum on Armed Drones coordination
- Contribute to PAX policy and campaign work in the Netherlands
- Writing blogs / articles on relevant subjects, reporting on public events
- Preliminary research on new and emerging technologies and conflict, such as directed energy weapons, cyberwarfare and space-based weapons.
What are we looking for
You are detail- and results-oriented person with an interest in international issues relating to peace, security and disarmament. You are research-oriented and can switch quickly, provide original solutions, and work both independently and in a team.
- Third or fourth year student (or graduate), preferably in Conflict Studies, International Relations, Political Science, International (Humanitarian) Law or Human Rights
- Excellent, in both written and oral, in English; Dutch language skills are a plus as are skills in other (European) languages.
- Interested in conflict areas and international issues about peace and security, with experience in researching relevant topics.
- Attention to recent international and national political developments in the area of peace, security and disarmament.
- Experience in organizing meetings and events and use of social media.
- a unique experience working within a politically oriented, dynamic peace organization in Utrecht
- purposeful internship guidance with an eye toward personal wishes and development
- start internship (early) September 2018, for a period of approximately 4-5 months
- Working hours in consultation, 2-4 days a week
- travel, expenses and internship remuneration up to a maximum of € 150, - per month
- In addition to the internship experience, there is also room for personal development. Regular lunches are organized for volunteers / interns, and through meetings and other activities you can further explore the (international) peace work.
Information / Respond
For further information on this position, contact Wim Zwijnenburg, Program Leader, at email@example.com
Please send your CV and concise cover letter addressed to Wim Zwijnenburg, by August 31st, 2018, only through the application button on the vacancies page of our website.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position.