Head of Communications and Advocacy
Beschrijving van de vacature
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Full-time/Part-time: Fulltime, 36 hours, 5 days per week
Location: Global Office, Ede-Wageningen, Netherlands (some flexibility in workplace)
Salary: Competitive, dependent on experience
Wetlands International is the only NGO dedicated to the safeguarding and restoration of
wetlands. At the heart of our vision is a plan to demonstrate whole landscape recovery in large
wetland landscapes including mangroves, peatlands and freshwater wetlands across the
world. These are landscapes which are among the top global biodiversity treasures, but which
are also sources of much of the world’s land-based climate emissions and where people are most
poor and vulnerable.
We have an exciting and rare opportunity for an experienced advocacy and communications manager to lead our communications and advocacy globally, and to strengthen and further our mission. In this role, you will be at the heart of our global efforts to inspire and mobilise society to safeguard and restore wetlands for people and nature.
Purpose of the role
As a key part of its Strategic Internet 2020-30, Wetlands International wants to raise its global
visibility and influence to a new level through strategic communications and advocacy, led by an
inspiring and experienced head of department. The Head of Communications and Advocacy is
responsible for the strategic direction and operational implementation of our communications
and advocacy efforts across the world to help deliver impact through our main programmes and
projects, in cooperation with our network offices across 4 continents.
As a member of the Programme Leadership Team and Network Management Team, s/he takes
collective responsibility for the organisation’s advocacy and communications strategy, its further
development and the impact achieved. The Head of Communications and Advocacy works
closely with and advises the CEO, manages a small staff team in the Global Office, and facilitates
collaboration among a team of communications based in network offices.
Responsibilities and tasks
- lead the development and implementation of a clear global communications and advocacy strategy, to engage our stakeholders, enhance our visibility and influence and leverage greater resources for our work, whilst safeguarding Wetlands International’s brand and reputation.
- Manage the Global Office team of communications and advocacy staff, ensuring team members are inspired, motivated, engaged productively in priority programmes and projects, and providing high quality results/products.
- Provide overall vision and leadership across the wider Network team of communications professionals, nurturing collaboration for synergy and increased impact.
- Work collaboratively with programme/project developers and fundraisers to enable sufficient resourcing and further enhancement of communications and advocacy capacities through and for our leading programmes and initiatives.
- Be partner of the global Management Team and member of the Network Management Team, providing advice and contributing to strategic decisions.
- Engage with communications professionals of strategic partners for visibility within joint programmes and partnerships and to enhance communications impact through collaboration, towards our joint objectives.
- Work closely with the Resource Development Manager and team to ensure a high standard of communications with our members, supporters, donors and in fundraising generally.
- Lead the development of media assets and communications materials that support the strategy, ensuring we maximise the potential of new technology and social media.
- Grow our relationship with key journalists, proactively seeking opportunities for interviews and articles.
INSIDE Wetlands International:
Management Team, Heads of Offices in the Network, Programme Heads, project managers,
colleagues in the advocacy and communications team, other staff in the Global Office and across
OUTSIDE Wetlands International:
Partner organisations, members, supporters and other stakeholders. Creative designers,
copywriters and web designers; journalists and other media contacts; partner-NGO’s,
governmental and corporate policy makers.
The successful candidate will be an experienced communications professional with a passion to
make a difference in addressing the connected climate and environment crises. They will be able
to connect with the mission, ambition, brand and way of working of Wetlands International and
to work proactively and creatively, inspiring and motivating other colleagues and partners to get
involved and to collaborate, combining skills and resources to make an impact.
Education and experience
- University Degree in Corporate Communications, International relations or equivalent professional experience.
- At least 10 years’ experience in a relevant role; including demonstrated ability to work with scientists and in knowledge-based organisations.
- Management experience in communications and advocacy, with a track record of successful results. Able to build a high performing team.
- Ability to inspire, empower and motivate other (including non-Communications and Advocacy) colleagues and partners.
- Demonstrated skills in managing plans, budgets and projects and experience of working in a project-based organization.
- Proven ability to conceptualise, innovate and execute ideas as well as transfer knowledge and skills.
- Confident communicator with experience in external public engagement and media relations, with public speaking skills.
- Understanding of / experience of the issues facing NGOs in effective communications, advocacy and fundraising.
- Ability to build and operate in multi-cultural, inter-disciplinary, global teams.
- Diplomat, good listener with strong interpersonal skills and comfortable working across different cultures and levels of society.
- Fluency in spoken and written English essential. Knowledge of French and Spanish. Knowledge of Dutch a bonus.
- Ability to travel.
- Develops and adapts organizational strategies - anticipates change and makes large or longterm adaptations in organization in response to the needs of the situation.
- Communicates strategically - acknowledges success and the need for improvement.
- Develops an environment that nurtures creative thinking, questioning and experimentation.
- Positions self as leader - holds self and others accountable for achieving established performance expectations.
- Understands organizational politics, issues and external influences- supports the changing culture and methods of operating, if necessary, for the success of the organization.
- Seeks out significant challenges - guides staff to achieve tasks, goals, processes and performance standards.
- Builds bridges between teams - breaks down barriers (structural, functional, cultural) between teams, facilitating the sharing of expertise and resources.
How to apply
To apply for this vacancy, please send us a resume and an application letter indicating your
motivation to Jozefa van der Veen, HR Officer hr@ . Please mark in the subject: wetlands.org
“Application – Head Communications and Advocacy. Questions about the vacancy and/or
procedure can also be sent to this email address.
Deadline for the application is Sunday 9 May 2021.
Interviews will take place in the week commencing 24 May 2021.
“Due to the high amount of applications, we can only contact short listed candidates.”