Finance and Operations Manager
Beschrijving van de vacature
Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for just and sustainable societies where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion divide societies, we connect people and communities. We stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders. We aim at maximizing our social impact and contributing to systemic change. We operate where natural disasters strike, where conflicts tear up communities and where lack of opportunities and service delivery keep families in extreme poverty.
Cordaid is one of the leading CSO’s in the Netherlands, working in fragile contexts on Health, Resilience, Economic opportunities, Humanitarian aid and Security & Justice. Apart from our work abroad we also contribute to new forms of job creation and social innovation in The Netherlands.
Cordaid is a member of the international Catholic networks Caritas and CIDSE and we are active in worldwide civil society networks. We work in around 30 countries in Africa, Middle East and Asia.
For the Cordaid Country office in Ethiopia, Addis Ababa, Cordaid is looking for a Finance and Operations Manager
Position and Responsibility:
The Finance and Operations Manager reports to the Country Director and s/he is responsible and manage the team in the operations department and have overall technical supervisory role of the service support activities and deliverables.
The Finance and Operations Manager key role is in developing and implementing country specific strategies as well as improving operational systems, processes and policies in support of Cordaid Ethiopia Country Office. S/he provides administrative leadership and ensure effective implementation of the relevant aspects of the country operations strategy through sound standards and in compliance with the procedures and to report on operations and CO performance.
S/he is a member of the Country Management Team, with overall responsibility of program support and timely completion of annual performance indicators under support functions. S/he also plays a significant part in qualifying and implementing initiatives coming from the Global Office that is on organizational development and financial accountability.
S/he will ensure timely and appropriate communication with Programme Managers regarding all issues related to finance, administration and human resources and work proactively to resolve differences and prioritize time-sensitive tasks.
Management and Accountability
1. Lead and manage the support team and ensure to establish high performing support staff and ensuring high-quality approaches are maintained. Develop and improve operational approaches with adherence to systems compliance, and support the Country Director to build and deliver effective and sustainable interventions.
2. Responsible for the strategic development, management and implementation of the support operations and ensuring appropriate technical support is available to programs, in line with organizational priorities.
3. Lead in the annual budget planning and review processes and accountability.
4. Take direct responsibility for ensuring that the Cordaid programme support activities operates in accordance with Cordaid function guidelines, donor requirement and the required accountability.
1. Manage the daily/monthly/annual financial activities and cycles, ensure each activity/cycle is within the deadlines, and without significant error and maintain the accuracy required to result in satisfactory audit reports. Recommend actions to address shortcomings identified in the audit recommendations, strengthen internal controls and improve organization processes.
2. Manages large and complex partnership and projects funds. Ensures cost coverage of the CO and provide strategic management information.
3. Identify bottlenecks in the budgets of the CO & the programme/projects and advice on financial improvements and ways to secure the costs and funds for sustainability of CO interventions.
4. Pro-actively interact with budget holders about cash flow management within projects, following internal control regulations. Conduct routine spot-check on delivery of programme finance services and regular budget monitoring (budget vs expenditure) and analysis, and so to report on budget performance and to ensure that the CO is on-track with delivery targets while complying with the financial regulations and donor requirements.
5. Negotiate about price setting in organization contracts of complex logistical tenders.
6. Collect information within the administrative organizations and report on results and specifics on possible deviations, using required reporting standards and provide solutions to minimize the impact of deviations.
7. Continuously advise the CO from a financial perspective on matters that affect business management.
Project Planning and Coordination
1. Provide technical support to the Human Development Manager on programme and project budget preparation, budget revisions, work planning, no-cost extensions and exit strategies. Co-coordinate project engagements, acceptance documents including participation in contract negotiations.
2. Provide advice on goal setting, targets and performance standards for projects and recommend tools for monitoring, evaluation and auditing.
3. Provide technical guidance on programme and project cost sharing, deployment of funds and closure.
4. Constantly monitor and analyze the operating environment to identify potential risks and take action/refer critical issues for intervention to ensure delivery of results.
5. Closely liaise with the Field Managers in order to troubleshoot any issues that might cause interruption in the support services management.
1. Manage the support services and personnel administration of the CO, adjusting administrative processes in a way that secures donor funding, auditability, timeliness, reliability of service delivery and information, and assure an optimal cost allocation within country office through ensuring effective coordination between projects and support operations.
2. Implement and enforce effective support operating manuals, systems and procedures and ensure they are in line with Cordaid standards and the Ethiopia Country laws.
3. Manage the procurement and review the procedures followed in sub-contract review and awarding of contracts, evaluate for cost effectiveness and manage the negotiations in connection with eventual agreements. Put in place a well-functioning vendor complaint and handling mechanism and address each issue with due process and diligence.
4. Drive the organization change through participation in external surveys and representing Cordaid in inter-agency meetings and working groups on operations issues to ensure Cordaid’ s interests are reflected in common system activities related to common services and premises, cost recovery and cost sharing arrangements, privileges and immunities, entitlements and salary surveys, security and evacuations plans.
5. Review and update the Country Office Security Plan and Evacuation plans.
Operations Management and Service Delivery Coordination
1. Coordinate support services operations across all line functions to address problems and deliver solutions.
2. Ensure that Cordaid retains and continually develops its operational capacity to provide for rapid emergency response in particular within its procurement and delivery systems.
3. Monitor and manage that all administrative, organisation registration and legal-related systems/requirements are updated and to ensure compliance with country law and legislation.
4. Work to build the capacity of the operational support staff throughout the operation and the same is extended to strengthen the partner’s standards and capacity.
Compliance, procedures and reporting
1. Prepare monthly financially reports in accordance with the global planning & control cycle including forecast periods and an analysis of the financial results of the office. Ensure to manage and maintain all cash flow forecast based on the various budgets.
2. Prepare Financial reports for external donors in accordance with donor agreements and ensure that these are complete and compatible with the narrative reporting.
3. Monitor and review the operational activities, contracts with stakeholders, Partners and vendors and its contractual payments/invoices for quality assurance and legal regulations/implications.
4. Lead in risk management plan (that identifies the major financial and operational risks) and mitigations for the CO.
5. Monitor the overall ‘programme delivery targets’ and ensure that the CO fulfills the specific quarterly delivery of ‘targets’.
6. Provide technical advice and operational guidance on innovative approaches to project financing, risk assessment/mitigation and use of financing structures.
7. Monitor and supervise all aspects of operations to ensure compliance with organization strategies, rules, regulations, policies, and standards of accountability, ethics and integrity and achievement of results.
8. Take charge in internal/external audit plans and reviews.
- Post graduate degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting, professional qualification such as ACCA or CPA and a qualification in Procurement and supply chain management is an added asset;
- At least 7 years INGO or other international agencies experience in finance or operations management and in international humanitarian programs, with a demonstrated ability to set up operational management systems in different large complex programs and direct experience of delivery in humanitarian programs in an emergency response;
- Previous experience working in Horn of Africa, managing complex funding and demanding programme is a preference;
- Proven working experience in delivering major international donor reports and has knowledge of major donor rules including UN, EC, Global Fund, World Bank and CROWN Agents;
- Proven commitment to accounting practices: knowledge in AX Financial Accounting Software will be an added advantage;
- Sound experience in Human Resources, administration and logistics management including procurement and fleet management; experience in tendering and contract management.
- Experience of leading and managing a diverse team of senior staff including international staff.
- Experience in security management and working/living in insecure and sensitive environments (knowledge of working in challenging and insecure environments).
- Experience in dealing with local authorities, national and international NGO’s /UN bodies;
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels;
- Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours with ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels;
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player;
- Strong accounting and analytical skills;
- Possess strong analytical and conceptual skills.
Specifics of station
The position is based in Addis Ababa, with 30% travel to the operational areas.
The contract period is for one year starting as soon as possible, with the intention to extend for a longer period upon satisfactory performance and funding availability. We offer a Cordaid contract with a competitive salary and a benefit package which includes R&R, a comprehensive insurance cover, social security and pension contribution monthly, a holiday allowance, 13th month, and hardship allowance.
Further information & how to apply
Applications including a motivation letter and extensive CV in English, including the contact details of at least three professional references, should be addressed to Akinyi Walender, Country Director Cordaid Ethiopia before May 23, 2019.
An integrity screening will be part of the application procedure.
Please note that we accept applications through our website only: https://www.cordaid.org/en/vacancies/international/?cd_job_id=131866