Country Director Iraq
Beschrijving van de vacature
We are Dorcas and we desire justice, both for people and their communities, so that they flourish. We strive for lasting change for those who live in poverty, are excluded, or are caught in a crisis. This is how we follow Jesus Christ.
We are a Christian organization and we work prayerfully. We value entrepreneurship and are ready to go off the beaten track. We desire to partner with everyone who shares our mission. We have country offices in Eastern Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
Dorcas Iraq is in a transition phase from humanitarian to early recovery and resilience programming. Focus sectors are Community Based Protection, Food Security and Livelihoods and Social Cohesion building. The projects are mainly funded by institutional donors. This position includes frequent travel to project implementation areas.
At this moment we are specifically recruiting an experienced and ambitious:
Country Director Iraq
(stationed in Duhok, Kurdistan region)
Starting date: as soon as possible
Purpose of the position
The Country Director develops and implements the strategy of Dorcas in Iraq. To ensure the strategy is executed successfully the Country Director leads the management of the country and, within the framework of an agreed Country Annual Plan, delivers an increasing number of high quality programs, successfully creates and capitalizes on fundraising opportunities, is responsible for strategic stakeholder management and sound financial management. The Country Director is responsible for the long term and overall success of the programs in Iraq. Furthermore, the Country Director is responsible for team management & development and quality control & evaluation. The Country Director reports to the Manager International Programs at International Office.
The Country Director will be responsible for:
- Representing Dorcas in Iraq;
- Formulating, implementing and reviewing of the Country Strategic and Annual Plan, within the framework of the Dorcas strategy and policies;
- Providing leadership to the team of Dorcas Iraq. Ensuring high quality program design, project proposals and project implementation;
- Identifying, creating and capitalizing on institutional funding opportunities for further growth and expansion of the program portfolio in Iraq;
- Developing new partnerships with local organizations and other (I)NGOs;
- Maintaining and establishing successful strategic relations with embassies, international donors, INGOs, local government bodies, UN coordination structures and other relevant stakeholders;
- Ensuring strong and outstanding collaborative relations with the Dorcas International Office;
- Ensuring quality in implementation standards, guidelines and reporting;
- Timely submission of reports to all stakeholders, including donors according to their requirements;
- Developing an organizational culture that reflects the values of Dorcas;
- Creating an environment of continuous learning, where staff is encouraged and supported to grow and develop and are willing to be held accountable for their commitments.
This is an exceptional opportunity for an ambitious, entrepreneurial and high energy professional with significant experience in program management in humanitarian aid or international development, to be part of a dynamic country organization. Specific requirements include:
- Master’s degree in International Development, Humanitarian Action, Disaster Management or other relevant field;
- Minimum of five years relevant working experience in (senior) program management in humanitarian aid/ international development;
- Proven track record in identifying, creating and capitalizing on institutional funding opportunities;
- Demonstrated experience in representing a non-profit organization and building personal and professional networks at a senior level;
- Good understanding of program, financial and operational management processes;
- Good understanding of key trends in international and humanitarian development;
- Experience building, leading and developing a growing team of staff with different backgrounds and expertise, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance;
- Extensive experience working in an international and cross cultural context;
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and written (including negotiation and presentation skills);
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, interpersonal and cross cultural sensitivity;
- Settled character with ability to cope with stressful, delicate and possibly dangerous situations;
- Fluent in English;
- Being a Christian, adhering to the Christian identity of Dorcas and experienced conveying the Christian identity to team members;
- Full support for the vision and mission of Dorcas.
Dorcas offers the opportunity to become part of a growing International NGO with a dedicated team of professionals. Dorcas offers a suitable pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. Furthermore, you will be offered an initial 12 month contract. Depending on continued funding, your performance and fit with the organization and staff, the contract will be extended.
Information and application
Interested and qualified candidates are kindly invited to send a cover letter and resume (both in English) no later than September 30th, 2019 to vacancies@. In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for wanting to become part of Dorcas, being a Christian organization. iraq.dorcas.org
For more information about this position or the recruitment process, please contact Mr. David Karelse, Recruitment Officer, at d.karelse@ or at +31682568838. dorcas.nl
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. An assessment may be part of the recruitment process.
All staff are required to sign and adhere to the Dorcas Code of Conduct including Child Safeguarding (following guidelines of PSEA - Protection against Sexual Exploitation and abuse). Recruitment is subject to successful completion of all applicable background checks, including references and criminal record checks.
You can find the Dorcas Code of Conduct on our website: https://www.dorcas.org/approach/