Beschrijving van de vacature
North Star Alliance’s mission is to provide quality healthcare to mobile workers, including long- distance truck drivers and sex workers, and the communities they interact withalong the transit corridors in sub-Saharan Africa. Our Blue Box clinics, converted shipping containers, offer a basic package of primary healthcare services, including screening for a range of non- communicable diseases, alongside sexual and reproductive health services.
Over the last 10 years, North Star has been able to systematically expand its presence to over 10 countries and has served more than 1.6 million people with health services across sub‑ Saharan Africa.
North Star is headquartered in Utrecht, Netherlands and has two regional offices in Durban, South Africa and Nairobi, Kenya.
North Star Alliance is looking for a Communications Officer
(Head Office, Utrecht, the Netherlands)
Duties and Accountabilities
As an experienced communications professional, the Communications Officer will contribute to the planning, development, implementation and monitoring of complex communications strategies in support of North Star’s strategic goals and objectives. S/he will work closely with senior leadership to promote North Star’s added value in the global health sector and to monitor global political developments to determine the best positioning of the organisation and to implement consequent communications work. Specifically, on the basis of North Star’s annual communications plan, s/he will:
- Under the leadership of North Star’s senior leadership, bring life to North Star’s communication’s strategy, driving the implementation of the communication components, refining it as needed.
- Contribute to the communications strategy and program development for diverse and multi-dimensional communication interventions.
- Identify and execute proactive outreach and engagement opportunities for targeted audiences.
- Help anticipate critical communications/public relations’ risks and opportunities.
Messaging and Positioning
- Develop messaging and ensure the consistent and impactful external positioning of North Star Alliance. This includes contributing to the planning and production of talking points, media engagement, speeches and presentations and North Star Alliance brand engagement.
- Identify, organise and manage exhibitions at key industry conferences using innovative formats, platforms and technologies that create a world-class conference experience for delegates.
- Deliver creative brand strategy; planning, organisation, production and logistics; venue management and security; event, experiential and sponsorship marketing.
- Develop informational and promotional materials, including reports, fact sheets, brochures, posters, infographics, website content, marketing plans, social media strategies and content, digital products and e-newsletters for various audiences.
- Develop external communications campaigns.
- Strengthen internal communications.
- Contribute to proposal and/or report writing for current and potential partners.
- Contribute to the development and organisation of meetings, training and workshops for management and staff.
- Write and edit communications products for print, on the web, public presentations, speeches, etc.
Education and experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in an international communications and/or marketing role.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or advanced degree in Marketing/Communications or related field.
- Demonstrated experience with project management and inter-and intra-team coordination.
- International experience in the development sector (e.g., social entrepreneurship and social innovation) is an asset.
- Exceptional ability to translate complex ideas and information into simple messages and communication strategies.
- Outstanding public and corporate communications skills, both written and spoken, as well as diplomacy and tact.
- Excellent written and spoken English; Fluency in English is an advantage.
- Experience in and understanding of the health care sector in sub-Saharan Africa would be an asset.
- Written communication – excellent commercial writing and editing skills across a variety of communications formats.
- Relationship Building – establishes rapport with people easily, developing and maintaining a network of contacts that can provide information, help and access to others.
- Displays tact, creativity – demonstrates good judgment and knows when a situation needs to be escalated or mediated.
- Innovative – identifies novel ideas; spots new approaches; has the ability to conceptualise beyond conventional and mainstream opinions and convictions.
- Organisation – establishes a systematic course of action for oneself or others to ensure accomplishment of a specific objective. Determines priorities and allocates time and resources effectively.
- Client orientation – has the ability to manage a variety of projects maintaining quality and meeting client needs, deadlines and budget requirements.
- Team player – willingly cooperates and works collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties and accomplish group objectives.
- Passion – is enthusiastically committed, shows ability to persevere and be productive under pressure.
- Cross-Cultural Skills – has strong cross-cultural competency and the ability to merge” their different worldviews into a “third” way of thinking beyond the constraints of each individual’s cultural conditioning.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long-term.
- Colleagues in head office, regional offices (Kenya and South Africa) and Blue Box clinics (in sub-Saharan Africa)
- Strategic Partners (for communications purposes)
- External contractors (designers, photographers etc.)
- 32 – 36 hours contract
- 8 months initial contract, prolonged based upon good performance
- Salary range for full-time (40 hours) between € 3,800 and 4,500 gross a month (plus 8% holiday allowance), depending on experience and qualifications
- Participation in collective pension arrangement
- Right to live and work in the Netherlands
- Willingness to travel locally and internationally (e.g., Africa)
- Recognises our Values; People Matter/Integrity/Quality/Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Passionate about North Star’s mission
- Multiple interviews and an assessment can be part of the application procedure