Beschrijving van de vacature
Friends of the Earth International looking for a:
COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR (CC)
0.8 fte – 30 hours – 4 days a week
About Friends of the Earth International:
Friends of the Earth International (FoEI) is the world's largest grassroots environmental federation with 73 autonomous member groups around the world. FoEI aims to ensure that the struggles and experiences of local communities – especially those most affected by unsustainable development – are brought to bear on policies and practices at national and international levels. We focus on six areas of work: climate justice and energy, forests and biodiversity, food sovereignty, economic justice and resisting neoliberalism, gender justice and dismantling patriarchy, and internationalist solidarity. Our vision is of a peaceful and sustainable world based on societies living in harmony with nature.
FoEI's decentralised and democratic structure allows all member groups to participate in decision-making. We are governed by our member groups, which are organised in regional structures and come together every two years to vote on issues facing the federation. Between meetings, governance is provided by an elected Executive Committee made up of representatives from our groups and regions. A small International Secretariat is based in Amsterdam.
The FoEI Communications Coordinator (CC) position will be based in one of FoEI’s member groups or in FoEI's International Secretariat (IS) in Amsterdam. The position reports to FoEI's International Coordinator. The CC works to develop and implement FoEI's communications framework and strategies and helps ensure the integration of communications planning into FoEI's international programs and activities. FoEI's overall communications work serves several objectives, including reaching targeted audiences and influencing public opinion, but also contributing to movement building and strengthening FoEI's alliances. We are looking for someone to lead and inspire a small and dedicated communications team and their work, but also be hands on in the day-to-day communications tasks. Strategy development and staff/budget management are very important elements of this role.
The CC is part of the IS management team and leads a small team of communications professionals, including two Communications Officers (based in Amsterdam and London), Radio Mundo Real/Real World Radio Coordinator (FoEI's multilingual web-based radio station, based in Uruguay), and a Technical Support person (to be hired). The CC also works closely with the rest of the staff of Radio Mundo Real/Real World Radio, FoEI’s International Program Coordinators, Regional Facilitators, working groups, and Executive Committee, who are based in FoEI member groups, and communicators from FoEI member groups around the world.
- Oversee implementation of the FoEI communications framework, including leading the development, implementation, and evaluation of annual and long-term communications strategies for the federation, its programs and core activities;
- Manage the IS communications team and serve as part of the International Secretariat's Management Team;
- Implement agreed strategies, including communicating with the media, writing assignments, social media communications, etc.;
- Ensure that the communications of the federation are consistent with its vision and political goals and objectives
- Ensure that FoEI’s communications framework is implemented and that FoEI’s international programs have communications strategies and a communications perspective incorporated in their work;
- Track and report internally and externally on annual and long-term communications goals;
- Ensure effective cooperation between the FoEI communications team and FoEI's International Program Coordinators, who are based in FoEI member groups, and with FoEI's regional structures;
- Ensure effective cooperation between the FoEI communications team and the Internationalist Solidarity System team and Gender Justice Dismantling Patriarchy working group
- Help facilitate member groups' and regions’ participation in FoEI's communications efforts;
- Ensure the production of FoEI materials, including program publications and an annual report;
- Create internal communications strategies and products to help build awareness and understanding of FoEI within the federation;
- Build awareness of FoEI's mission, vision and values with the general public and target audiences.
- Work with the staff of Radio Mundo Real/Real World Radio to develop annual and long-term strategies for the radio within the federation and with target audiences; and works with the RWR coordinator and team to implement the radio work, including film, design, photography and social media etc.;
- Plan and oversee annual communications budgets;
- Manage communications-related grants, maintain an overview of and ensure the delivery of communications-related donor commitments;
- Contribute to fundraising efforts for communications and reporting to funding agencies and ensure that fundraising is integrated into communications strategies.
- At least five years of experience as a senior level communicator in a multicultural and international environment; · At least three years experience in a management position/leading a team (including both staff and budget management);
- Demonstrated track record in strategy development and implementing communications strategies for social movements or social organizations, federations/networks;
- Demonstrated track record working with a variety of traditional and new/digital communications tools (press/media, publications, radio, social media, alternative media, etc.) to deliver integrated communications and reach target audiences;
- Highly collaborative style and a strong track record as an implementer;
- Relationship builder with flexibility, strong interpersonal, inter-cultural and organisational skills, sensitivity, respect and understanding;
- Ability to work in participatory and collaborative decision-making processes in a global, decentralised environment and an ability to manage a variety of key initiatives concurrently;
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills; fluency in Spanish or French would be a strong advantage;
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to meet deadlines and prioritise a demanding workload appropriately;
- Willingness and ability to travel (overseas) approximately one or two times per year;
- Ability to contribute different perspectives and lived experiences to the position is particularly encouraged;
- Strong commitment to social justice and clear understanding of FoEI’s vision, mission and ways of communicating. Experience working with FoEI, a FoEI-member group, or allied organization would be a strong advantage.
We aim to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of a socially, economically, gender, and environmentally just society. We encourage applications from those who are marginalised and underrepresented (particularly people of colour, Black, and indigenous people).
What FoEI offers:
- We offer an opportunity to contribute to a better world and work for an inspiring international and culturally diverse network in an office with a small friendly team at a great location in Amsterdam.
- When based in the Netherlands: full time salary between € 4,119 and € 4,598 monthly depending on experience and qualifications. When not based in the Netherland the salary level will be adjusted to the price level of the country of residence.
- Contract duration: 1 year initially, to be renewed upon positive performance evaluation.
- Participation in collective pension arrangement compulsory.
- Please send in your letter and CV to Dave Hirsch by 23 April 2021 at the latest.
- E-mail: email@example.com with ''Communications Coordinator'' in the subject field.
- The interviews will take place between 17-18 May 2021. The specific time and day will be communicated in due time.
- This is a second call for this position. Applicants who applied in the first round do not need to re-apply.
Friends of the Earth International is an equal opportunities employer and committed to building a culturally diverse staff. We encourage applications from people currently under-represented in the environmental justice movement.
Please note that, in compliance with GDPR, we will keep your application in our protected files for a maximum of four weeks after the successful closure of this vacancy