Business Development Professional
Beschrijving van de vacature
Against a background of renewed energy and commitment to achieve universal access to water, sanitation and hygiene by 2030, IRC is looking for a dynamic, experienced and go-getting new member of our business development team.
IRC is the leading WASH sector think-and-do tank. We work with governments, NGOs, entrepreneurs and people around the world to find long-term solutions to the global crisis in water, sanitation and hygiene services. Our mission is to drive change that leads to everyone in the world having access to good quality and sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene services.
With over 50 years of experience, IRC runs large-scale programmes in six focus countries and smaller projects in more than 25 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. It is supported by a team of over 80 staff across the world, and has offices in The Hague (NL), Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana and Uganda.
To support our mission we are looking for an experienced and ambitious Fundraiser for our Strategic Partnerships Department.
You will be joining a small but dedicated team responsible for securing €12 million of funding per year. The team does this through a mix of responding to tenders and calls for proposals and pro-active outreach to foundations and philanthropies: pitching IRC’s vision and mission; and selling IRC’s skills.
Your main responsibility will be to lead IRC’s market responsive fundraising, whilst taking opportunities for pro-active fundraising and contributing to the overall success of the team in meeting IRC’s fundraising targets. You will report to the head of Strategic Partnerships.
- Lead IRC’s multi-annual strategy and annual plan for market responsive fundraising.
- Manage the Strategic Partnerships Assistant (and interns when required) and have oversight of monitoring market opportunities on a weekly basis .
- Manage existing and create new partnerships and consortiums through which IRC is able to strengthen its market position.
- Develop and draft funding proposals and cases for support for the IRC country programmes and IRC’s international programme.
- Support the other team members in all fundraising and business development opportunities.
- Passionate and entrepreneurial approach to fundraising and business development.
- Bring experience of different approaches of fundraising to IRC and provide hands on support to the development and implementation of all fundraising activities and events.
- A team player, willing to chip in when others need support and when deadlines are approaching.
- An authentic communicator, internally in IRC and externally towards clients, funders and partners in business development.
- Great writing skills - able to explain IRC’s mission and concepts to external funders and partners.
- Good financial and entrepreneurial skills - able to draft winning proposals based on solid budgets.
- Undaunted and not taking ‘no’ for an answer.
Knowledge and experience
- At least five years experience both in market responsive and proactive (towards philanthropies and foundations) fundraising.
- Experience in raising funding for larger multi-million, multi-partner and multi-country programmes as well as smaller consultancies.
- Experience in liaising with external partners such as consultancy and engineering firms, universities and knowledge institutes.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Innovative and curious to expand the reach and the quality of IRC’s fundraising.
- Preferably a native English speaker – must have good knowledge of grammar, punctuation, style, and format.
- Competence in speaking and writing Dutch, French, Spanish is desirable.
- Experience in (fundraising in) the water, sanitation and hygiene sector is also desirable.
Details of the position
You will initially be offered a one year contract with a salary depending on qualifications and experience in IRC salary scale 16 as stated in the IRC CAO. IRC has a 40-hour work week; and our benefits package has an 8% holiday allowance; an end-of-year allowance and 35 annual leave days.
The post wil require a working permit for The Netherlands (granted automatically for EU citizens) and will require being physically based in The Netherlands.
Start date as soon as possible and in consultation.
Candidates are kindly requested to respond with a short motivation letter explaining their interest in the position and a concise curriculum vitae (the letter is a critical part of the application – unsupported CVs will be rejected) before January 27th, 2020 to IRC, attn. Marion Giese at recruitment@ or P.O. Box 82327, 2508 EH, The Hague, The Netherlands. Job interviews will be scheduled in the second week of February. For additional information please visit our website at ircwash.orgwww.ircwash.org or contact Bryony Stentiford, Head of Strategic Partnerships T +31 (0)70 304 4016.